MI Recreation Passport

Wherever you travel, please

The Michigan Recreation Passport is a vehicle sticker that allows entry into Michigan state parks, natural areas, trails, boat launches, campgrounds & recreation areas (view the complete list).  Recreation Passports are not required for visitors who are on foot or a non-motorized bicycle.

Both state park and state forest campgrounds require an additional, daily fee. (fees vary widely depending on location & amenities; ranging from $6-$33 per night)

Passports are not required at private campgrounds, county, city or township parks or privately managed natural areas & trails.

Vehicles bearing the following Michigan specialty plates are exempt & do not require a Michigan Recreation Passport:

100% disabled veteran
Medal of Honor

The following information is provided by the Michigan.gov:

Info for Michigan Residents

When you check "YES" for the Michigan Recreation Passport when renewing your license plate with the Michigan Secretary of State, you gain access to over 100 state parks, hundreds of miles of pathways, and more. And, you say "YES" to protecting Michigan's natural resources found within these state parklands for future generations.

The two tiny "P's" printed at the top and bottom of your license plate tab-your Recreation Passport proof of purchase-are small in size, but their many benefits aren't! Check "YES" for the Recreation Passport when you renew your license plate at a Secretary of State branch office, self service station, by mail or online. It's valid for 1 year, until your next vehicle plate renewal date. And that's good for you and great for Michigan!

Michigan residents who didn't purchase the passport with their vehicle registration can purchase one in the form of a window sticker at state parks, recreation areas and Customer Service Centers.

--> Cost is $11 for vehicles, $5 for motorcycles, $6 for trailers

Info for Non-Residents

The annual Non-Resident Recreation Passport is valid from the date of purchase through Dec. 31 of the same calendar year. “Non-resident” means that your vehicle is registered in another state or province and it is not based on the driver's residency.

Allow 7 days for delivery of your Non- Resident Recreation Passport. If you plan to visit a park before receipt of your permit, purchase one at the park or any Customer Service Center.

--> Cost is $31.10 per year or $9 per day

* * *
There are many recreation sites in the area that require a passport; these 3 provide access to the river: Forks & Scheck's SF Campgrounds and Muncie Lakes Pathway trail-head. .

If you are only using the launch at Forks, a passport is not required as long as you don't park IN the campground.  A passport IS required on any vehicle parked at Scheck's and shuttle vehicles must park in the day-use area.

Follow the Boardman River on FacebookInstagram Twitter!

DISCLAIMER: Every effort is made to provide current & accurate information, however, it is for reference only & NOT guaranteed. Please follow the appropriate links to learn detailed information & current conditions. Please note that websites can and do change links often; thank you for reporting broken links. Questions and comments are always welcome.

All original photographs & text Copyright © 2016 @TheBoardman

The Hacky Turtles "Take Me There" to Traverse City!